Amidst phenomenal growth of ecommerce and consistently evolving retail logistics, the significance of warehouse management service cannot be overstated. The very definition of warehouse management service has changed in recent years. While storage and inventory management still remain at the crux of the service along with an efficient warehouse management system, there are other associated services which have now become imperative.
There is no dearth of companies offering warehouse management service but you need to find the right one. Here is a brief guide that can help you in your quest.
- The first attribute many business owners focus on is the infrastructure. While infrastructure is indeed an important factor, the most significant attribute is the expertise. The company offering warehouse management service must have experience in dealing with the specific type of goods that you have. You cannot expect a company specializing in handling textiles to be as adept at handling valuables such as luxury watches. Likewise, food items need a different approach compared to consumer electronics. Even food needs to be classified into perishable and nonperishable. Choose a warehouse management service that is particularly specialized in dealing with the kind of goods you have.
- Technology is another important factor. Technology is not confined to a warehouse management system or software that would automate inventory management, database management and other essential operations. Technology pertaining to security, logistics, returns management, order fulfillment and other aspects of the niche must also be ensured. In a nutshell, you need a state of the art warehouse management service that automates everything that can be automated, thus doing away with the possibilities of human error.
- Cost is obviously one of the most important elements that would influence your choice of warehouse management service. Don’t compromise on technology or expertise to save money. That wouldn’t work out well for your goods or for your customers.
- Focus on convenience when you choose a warehouse management service. Consult with the reps, check out their locations, factor in where they are based and how they cater to the service because the easier it is for you to coordinate with the company or the assigned personnel of the company, the more efficient the whole arrangement would be.
- You may need additional services at times, which could be returns management, packaging, storage for specific periods of time which may vary for different products, shipping or order fulfillment service as a whole. Check out if a company offering warehouse management service can cater to all other needs of yours.